When you “redirect” a website, that means you are simply forwarding it to another address on the same or different domain. cPanel offers you a direct option to setup redirection of hosted domains. In this blog I will show you How to Redirect a Website in cPanel.
What is Website Redirect?
Website redirects are the process of automatically directing a web user from one URL to another. You can forward your domain name to any website, webpage, etc. which is available online.
Example: Your old website was XYZ.com, and you have now changed your website name to ABC.com for whatever reason, and you want people who search for XYZ.com to be redirected to ABC.com. In that case, you can redirect your website from XYZ.com to ABC.com.
Types of Website Redirects
There are two main categories of redirects: permanent and temporary.
1) Permanent(301) – This type of redirect indicates that the page has been permanently moved to a new URL.
2) Temporary (302) – This type of redirect indicates that the page has been temporarily moved to a new URL.
For example: Say you’re performing website maintenance. You could temporarily redirect users to a message telling them to check back after maintenance is complete.
Why Do I Need to Redirect My Website?
A website user may redirect a website for a variety of reasons, some of which are as follows:
1)When you change your business name.
2) When merging two websites, you must redirect a website the old one to the new one.
3) To forward the traffic from one website to another website when the old website no longer exists.
4) To make sure visitors don’t arrive on duplicate or broken pages .
To Redirect a Website in cPanel using Redirects follow these steps:
STEP 1: Login to cPanel.
STEP 2: Go to the Domain sections, there you see Redirects click on that.
STEP 3: In this steps you select the options according to your choice.
1)Type : Permanent(301):It is used when you don’t want to use the original website anymore.
For example, if your previous website’s name was risenepal.com and you now want to completely redirect to another website, such as riseandshine.com, you can choose “permanent.” So when the user searches for risenepal.com, it will redirect them to riseandshine.com.
Temporary(302): It is used when you temporarily move your page to a new website.
For example, if your page is under maintenance or when you want to test a new website design .
I have selected Permanent type.
2) http?//(www): In this all-domain list, all addon domains and subdomains are listed. Select it if you want to redirect a specific subdomain, or select All Public Domains if you want to redirect the entire website. I have selected All Public Domains.
3) Redirects to: In the ‘Redirects to’ box, enter the URL address you want the site traffic redirected to, including the protocol e.g. http:// , https://. I have redirects to https://www.ehostingserver.com/.
4) www. redirection: There is 3 option:
- Only redirect with www: The redirect will work if only visitors are using www. as a part of the URL.
- Redirect with or without www: The redirect will work regardless of using www. as a part of the URL or not.
- Do Not Redirect www: The redirect will not work if visitors are using www. as a part of the URL.
I have selected 2nd option Redirect with or without www.
STEP 4: As you can see, when I type www.risenepal.com into my browser, it will redirect me to ehsotingserver.com.
Select the ‘Wild Card Redirect’ option if you want a wild card redirect. Selecting this option redirects all files within a directory to the same filename in the new directory.
Example: If example.com redirects to example-test.com, then:
- with Wild Card Redirect: example.com/test/ redirects to example-test.com/test/
- without Wild Card Redirect: example.com/test/ redirects to example-test.com.
To Redirect a Website in cPanel using Domain follow these steps:
We can redirect a Primary domain, an Addon domain, and a Subdomain to another domain in this manner using Domains.
STEP1: First, you need to create an Addon domain and Subdomain. If you don’t know how to create a Subdomain or Addon domain in the newly Jupiter-based theme of cPanel, then you can follow our blog.
In this blog, I have used green.com as an Addon domain and example.risenepal.com as a Subdomain.
STEP 2: In this step I am redirecting Addon domain which is green.com to ehostingserver.com. For that Click on Manage.
STEP 3:On the right side you will see Modify the Redirects click on that.
STEP 4: When you click on “modify the redirects,” you will again go to the same page as the redirects page. Now you can follow the above steps to redirect.
STEP 5: In this step now I am redirecting my Subdomain example.risenepal.com to ehostingserver.com. For that you have tp select the subdomain and then click on Manage Redirection.
STEP 6: There you see Redirection ,write your Redirection domain and click on SAVE.
STEP 7: As you see, it successfully redirects to the ehostingserver.com .
Moving your website or domain is no easy task. It needs to be done carefully and strategically, in order not to lose traffic or affect your ranking on Google.
I hope this information helps you Redirect a Website in cPanel . If you find any difficulty then you can contact us through a Support Ticket or live chat. We are there for you.