A nameserver is a server that translates domain names into IP addresses. When you enter a domain name into your browser’s search bar the domain name is sent to the name server, which converts it to an IP address so the browser can find it.
A custom nameservers is created by people if they have a Reseller hosting or Virtual Private Server (VPS) account. It will be easy for your reseller clients to remember your nameserver. You can use custom nameservers in place of the nameservers offered by your web hosting company. Registering your own nameserver also means you can avoid giving away third-party details to your clients.
For example, if your domain is risenepal.com, you could create custom nameservers like ns1.risenepal.com and ns2.risenepal.com.
Follow the steps below to create a custom nameservers.
Adding Glue Records / Child Nameservers at eHostingServer
You will need to setup glue records to point nameservers at server. You can setup glue records at your domain control panel. Follow the below steps to setup glue records for domain registered with us. For domain registered at other company, you can contact them to setup child nameservers or glue records for you.
Step 1:Login to eHostingServer.com. Go to the Domain section, then click on My Domains, select the domain you want to create a custom nameserver for. When you click on “Active“, you get all the details of your domain.
Step 2:When you click on Active on the left side, you will see private nameservers. Click on that. There you see “Register a Nameserver Name.” This is usually “ns1”, since nameservers tend to use names like ns1.risenepal.com and ns2.risenepal.com. You can then add the IP address of your server and save your changes. Use the same IP address for both of your custom nameservers if you only have one server IP. You can conform with web hosting company for your child nameserver IP.
Adding A records of your custom nameservers in cPanel.
Step 3:Now you have to add A records. Click the Zone Editor under the Domains section to do that.
Now add A record for your domain with proper IP address provided.
Step 4:As you can see, two A records are finally added to your domain.
Setup Glue Records with Third-party domain Provider
How to Setup Child Nameservers (Glue Records) at Resellerclub/resell.biz
- Login to your customer panel -> Manage Order -> List/Search Order.
- Now click in domain name for which you want to setup child nameservers.
- Click on Child Name Server.
- Enter your desired nameserver in hostname and IP in IP Address filed and click on save button. Repeat it for ns2 as well.
How to Setup Child Nameservers (Glue Records) at Dynadot
- Login to Dynadot website and navigate to My domains -> Nameservers.
- Click on Register Name Server from Left side as shown in screenshot below.
- Pop will open where you need to enter your desired hostname and IP address.
- Repeat the process for ns2 or more.
How to Setup Child Nameservers (Glue Records) at Namecheap
- Login to your namecheap account.
- From the left sidebar menu, click on Domain List. You will see list of your domain.
- Now click on manage button at left side of domain.
- Click on Advanced DNS.
- Scroll down, you will see option to register Nameserver.
- click on Add Nameserver. You will need to select desired prefix and IP provided by web hosting provider.
- click on done.
How to Setup Child Nameservers (Glue Records) at Godaddy
- Login to your Godaddy account.
- Click on My account -> Domains
- You will see list of domains registered at Godaddy, now click on domain name for which you want to register custom nameservers.
- You will see domain setting. Scroll down and click on Manage DNS.
- Click on Hostname under DNS Records section.
- Now click on Add button, you will be able to enter prefix and IP.
- Hit the save button and repeat for ns2/dns2 or your desired prefix and IP.
You should wait at least 24 hours after completing all the previous procedures to ensure that your DNS changes have fully propagated and have been updated throughout the whole Internet.